One Month Prior To Your Move
- Notify post office of address change
- Notify doctor, dentist, and other service providers.
- Order moving and packing supplies.
- Contact charitable organizations regarding goods to donate.
- Discard unwanted items.
- Begin packing, clearly labeling boxes with name, contents, and room destination.
Two Weeks Prior To Your Move
- Notify service companies (telephone, electric, gas, alarm, cable, water, oil, etc), as well as motor vehicle registry.
- Make arrangement for disassembly of furniture.
- Remove all permanently affixed items from walls (drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, etc).
One Week Prior To Your Move
- Confirm date and time of your move.
- Provide moving company with your new phone number or a cell phone number.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers, including high value items (jewelry, money, important documents, etc).
- Prepare to move uninsured and precious items (plants, jewelry, documents, etc).
One Day Prior To Your Move
- Consolidate fragile boxes to one area.
- Separate items not being transported by the moving company.
- Confirm telephone numbers are working at both locations.
- Refrigerators and freezers should be defrosted, drained, and dried.
- Drain water bed.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers and other gas powered tools.
- Clear walkways and driveway for improved access during inclement weather.
- Isolate checkbook, cash, credit cards and keys.
- If paying in cash or with certified funds (travelers checks, cashiers check) withdraw enough to cover the move and potential overages.
Day of Your Move
Keep the following items handy in case you need them the day of your move. Reserve a box for these and other items you will need immediately upon arrival to your new home.
- First-aid kit
- Box cutter or knife
- Extension cord, batteries
- Basic cleaning supplies
- Disposable eating utensils, plates, cups
- Pet supplies
- Trash bags
- Light bulbs
- Local phone book
- Screwdriver and hammer
- Map of new area