Here are a few hints and ideas to make your move go smoothly.
- Start EARLY!! If you are moving in the summer, pack your winter clothes 2 months before the move.
- Don’t reuse any boxes that have been used many times and are starting to wear.
- Pack all boxes to capacity. (Boxes that are under filled are more likely to be crushed and boxes that are overfilled can tear or fall apart.)
- Boxes should weigh about 25-30 lbs each. It is important to be consistent with the amount of weight in each box. Accidents can happen when a box weighs much more or less than expected.
- Label all boxes as soon as you’re done packing them.
- Don’t pack it if you don’t need it.The cheapest way to pack and ship something is to NOT do it. Many people go by this rule: If you haven’t used it in the past year or so, you don’t need it.
- Never pack perishable items, aerosol products or frozen food.
- Use the proper packing materials: Sturdy boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and packing peanuts can all be purchased and possibly retrieved for free.
Here is a list of items that will help the packing go quickly and easily:
- Razor knife and/or scissors
- Note pad
- Permanent marker
- Assorted sizes of boxes
- Packing tape
- Bubble wrap
- News wrap
- Pack ONE room at a time, labeling each box as you go. DO NOT forget to label boxes containing breakable or sentimental items with "FRAGILE". Keep a list of items packed.
- Empty all drawers of breakable and items that may spill. To safeguard against unnecessary damage, it’s a good idea to remove knobs, feet, screws, etc. in one container so the parts won’t get lost.